Our daily mission is to work to eliminate deaths and injuries on Virginia’s roads and streets. Each year, over 750 people die and over 60,000 people are injured in highway crashes in Virginia. We are seeking highly motivated professionals with leadership and collaboration skills to join our dedicated team to help lead, develop and administer projects and plans that will have an impact.
- As a responsible charge engineer, apply thorough knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of highway safety engineering and planning to complete complex, unique, and difficult assignments.
- Successfully manage the resources engaged in projects and tasks, including internal and consultant resources.
- Lead and support the planning efforts of VDOT’s highway safety program on a statewide basis.
- Assist with comprehensive program management of the Strategic Highway Safety Planning effort and establishment of program goals and objectives.
- Lead the development, management, and tracking of engineering emphasis area action plan element and the tracking and evaluation of the behavioral areas identified by the plan.
- Develop strong, collaborative relationships within VDOT and with VDOT’s highway safety partners.
- Proactively manage the development and tracking of the strategic plan by creating an environment where all ideas and input is valued.
- Lead and manage staff and consultants engaged in supporting the strategic planning effort.
- Using available crash, roadway and traffic data analysis results and other resources from various VDOT business units, other states, and FHWA, conduct statewide safety planning to assist in determining the best techniques, countermeasures, and project types that can be deployed to drive down fatal and injury crashes across the Commonwealth.
- Lead or assist in developing standards and specifications for highway and traffic engineering assets and appurtenances.
- Assist in responding to requests for comment and information from various sources pertaining to federal and state highway safety rules and requirements.
- Lead the annual project screening and scoring analysis efforts for SMART SCALE highway safety measures.
- Provide clear instruction and direction to internal and consultant staff to ensure that evaluations are performed in a consistent, accurate, and timely manner.
- Lead or assist in developing methods and tools and related documentation to implement the safety screening and scoring.
ADDITIONAL VACANCIES MAY BE FILLED FROM THIS RECRUITMENT
This position is eligible for telework opportunities; availability, hours, and duration are at the sole discretion of the Department Manager in accordance with VDOT’s Teleworking policy.
- Experience in policy development, interpretation, and analysis.
- Experience with Strategic Highway Safety Plan or other strategic plan development and implementation.
- Experience implementing transportation improvement projects and/or a background in transportation planning.
- Skilled in time management, proofreading, back-checking, computer skills with MS Windows, Access, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Experience with software applications for statistics, highway safety engineering and mapping software, such as Tableau, SPSS, IHSDM and HSM Spreadsheets, and ArcGIS.
- Experience in the design and/or use of complex relational databases and SQL.
- Masters degree in civil engineering or related field.
For more information and qualifications about this position, or to apply for this position directly, click HERE